Friday, 5 June 2009

My Philosophy

My philosophy of life is hinged upon patriotism to the land of my birth the Federal Republic of Nigeria and that of my domicile the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or wherever I see myself at any point in time. However that is never enough! I must have no hatred or bitterness for no one because I strongly believe that pain no matter how painful it is could be healed while hatred could be turned to love and division into unity. Human race could and would be one. 

Furthermore I strongly believe in making love and not war, preaching peace and never hatred or division or bitterness and bearing no malice towards none irrespective of their religion, creed, belief, ethnicity, colour, language, political views or sexual orientation for we are all progeny of the same root with a mandate to heal wounds, unite what has fallen apart and bring home those who have lost their way.

And being aware that neutrality does not pay, I have sworn never to keep silent or remain neutral when people are going through a very difficult time or humiliation. Neutrality empowers the oppressor and never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor and never the tormented. I believe we have to take part in a controversy no matter whose Ox is gored especially when it borders on human life and dignity by speaking against it. When human lives are endangered and human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sovereignty should come last. Wherever people are persecuted, imprisoned, humiliated or become a subject of opprobrium as a result of their race, religion, ethnicity, political views or sexual orientation, that place should be the focus of the entire world until that cynical and barbaric behaviour is brought to an end.

My belief is borne out of my belief in universal brotherhood of mankind and absolute faith in a supreme being called God. I believe in God. Yes I do and in His only begotten son and our lord Jesus Christ born of the Virgin called Mary the wife of Joseph the carpenter as well as in the truism that there is salvation for all those Christians and non-Christians who worship God according to their culture and the dictates of their conscience. The meaning of this is that I do not believe in the superiority of one religion over the other. I believe in the equality of all religion and gender equality in the service of God. If a man can be a priest nothing should prevent a woman from being that too.

Moreover I have a firm belief in showing charity to all with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right and bearing in mind at all times that above all these the greatest is love. I also believe on the day of judgement when God will judge us on how much we loved as well as on the principles of dialogue and non-confrontation upon which He will judge between the nations and settle disputes for them so that they shall beat their swords into ploughshares and their spears into pruning hooks and learn war no more. 

Finally I have an absolute hope in that new world where wolves will live with the lamb, leopards with the goats, calves and yearlings with the lions, where the cows will feed like the bears while the lions will eat straw like the ox and the infants will play near the hole of the cobra with no fear even as they put their hands into the viper’s nest for God has allowed us to joy in Him through our lord Jesus Christ by whom we have now received the atonement.

No comments:

Post a Comment